Pass Plus Course
You’ve passed your driving test – now you can drive on your own at last. But it doesn’t stop there; this is just the end of the beginning…
Getting your own car will give you the independence you need. For a new driver, the cost of insurance can be sky high.
And the reason for this? Statistics show that new drivers are more likely to have an accident in the first two years of passing their test than at any other time in their driving career.
Age doesn’t matter – it’s basically down to a lack of driving experience.
That’s where PASS PLUS comes in!
What Is Pass Plus?
PASS PLUS is a training scheme for new drivers. It’s much more than just a few extra lessons. This specially designed course by the Driving Standards Agency (DSA), with the help of insurers and the driving instruction industry, helps you :
- gain valuable driving experience safely – you will be taught how to deal with a wide range of road and traffic situations, many of which you probably won’t have faced before
- build on your existing skills and knowledge – it can take years to become a skilled driver. helps get you there by speeding up the learning process under expert tuition
- reduce your risk of being in a road crash -the course will help boost your awareness of all kinds of hazards and help you learn how to anticipate, plan for and deal with them safely
- save money on car insurance premiums -naturally, you will have to pay for the course. Fees for the course will vary depending on where you live and the instructor or driving school you choose. Bear in mind too that it will take a minimum of six hours, all of which need to be taken after passing your test. If more sessions are needed for you to successfully complete the course, this may add to the cost.
When you have successfully completed the course, you are advised to check available discounts offered by the insurance companies taking part in the scheme. The amount you save will depend on the company you choose, you may even save more than you paid for the course.
- boost your confidence – if you feel nervous driving on your own, the training can help you become more confident on the roads
- give peace of mind to your loved ones
- PASS PLUS consists of six practical modules which cover driving in town, in all weathers, on rural roads, at night, on dual carriageways and on motorways. You can take it at any time within the first 12 month of passing your test.
- There is no test at the end of it – your driving will be continually assessed and you must successfully complete all the modules in the course to an achieved or exceeded standard:
- achieved – successfully reached the standard required for each of the competencies
- exceeded – exceeded the required standard for each of the competencies
In exceptional circumstances, if a module can’t be done on the road it will be covered in a theory session. The highest level you can reach is ‘achieved’ as you’ve not been able to demonstrate the relevant practical skills.
Don’t worry if you haven’t got a car at the moment, you may be able to defer the discount for up to two years. Again, check with your insurance company.
If you passed your test more than a year ago you should check that you’ll be eligible for the discounts on offer from your insurance company before you take the course.